WorldGirlRants

I started this blog because I left Boston to live and work in London for a while, and I wanted to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm back now, but still have plenty of opinions on world news, politics, the media and the absolute craziness that comes from dealing with people. Bring it.

16 May 2006

Will I ever learn?

So when my company sent me to London for three+ months, I introduced my parents to Skype so we could talk often without breaking the bank. Immediately upon arriving in London, I realized that I should have given them a bit more direction on Skype etiquette.

I use Skype quite a bit to talk to colleagues all over the world, so I was often on conference calls on Skype, or talking to people about work stuff. But my parents assumed that if I was online, and they could see me, I could talk. So they would call all the time. And I would send them a text chat to tell them that I couldnt talk right then. But they would just keep calling and calling, not thinking to look at the blinking little box that appeared on their screen with a message from me. I finally got them to start sending me an IM first, asking if I could talk and after that, everything was fine.

Now, you would think I would remember this, but NO. They have been enjoying using Skype so much to call family and friends in Israel and Argentina, that when I saw this news today, about the ability to make calls to landline and mobile phones within the US and Canada for free with Skype, I thought I would let them know so they could call my aunts in New York and New Jersey, etc.

I should have known that they would take this as license to call ME. My work phone. My cell phone. My home phone. Why? Because they can. Now I know why my brother refuses to download Skype. Eh, at least I made them happy and we have a new Skype development to talk about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home