WorldGirlRants

I started this blog because I left Boston to live and work in London for a while, and I wanted to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm back now, but still have plenty of opinions on world news, politics, the media and the absolute craziness that comes from dealing with people. Bring it.

04 March 2006

More Insane TV

As Alex so wisely pointed out to me, the posts regarding TV on my blog tend to get the most comments and action (and have helped make me numero uno on Google for the search term "Insane TV"). So with that in mind, I'm going to talk TV yet again.

This time, though, I'm gonna start with an Insane TV commercial. Specifically, one for "
Fairy"- a dishwashing detergent. You can view the ad for the Active Burst Tabs here. What makes a dishwahser tablet ad so insane, you ask? Perhaps it is the presence of three male celebrity chefs, eating dinner, arguing about who will do the "washing up" and then allowing "the fairy" to do it. Is it me? I didn't realize these guys were actual celebrity chefs until I studied up on it, so I was a bit taken aback. Now, I'm just amused. I'm also wondering whether or not this was intentional. In any case I am pretty sure this ad would not have happened in the US.

Next instance of "Insane TV" -- the importation of another American Freakshow -- Amish in the City. Apparently this show aired on UPN in like 2004? Although I was lucky enough to miss it then, I caught the first episode today. And it's what you think it is -- an MTV Real World-type house that brings together 6 "regular" (if you can call these charicatures of people "regular") twenty-somethings and 5 Amish young adults on their "
rumspringa" (or time off from being Amish before they become full-fledged adult members of their community) to live in LA.

The most horrific part of this show (among many) is the embarassing behavior of the so-called "regular" people, including the busboy with the painful South Boston accent, the "cool guy" who shaves the chest of one of the Amish guys on the first night, and the girl who immediately calls the Amish girls "competition" the minute they shed their bonnets. And sadly, I fear you're supposed to root for the Amish people to forsake their traditions and instead embrace the lives of these fools at the end. My only real comment on this show is, "WHY?!"

5 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger a13xa9dr1a said...

I cant believe it! I actually saw an episode of this stupid show and if I remember correctly, there was a blond amish kid who was all tweaked about "rap" and "rock 'n roll" and other foreign concepts. It was a bit over the top... i cant believe that they didn't stretch the stereotypes a little. Again, more make-me-proud-to-be-an-American programming. What'll they think of next? Dwarves join the NBA? Crackdealers join Neighborhood Watch?

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Tim Walsh said...

OK, that's it. Liora and Alex? You're both coming across a bit, shall I say, elitist? Come on, I've seen you two indulge in the "less than finer things". So get off your high horse(s) and wallow in the mud with the rest of us. I'm going to open up a Pabst Blue Ribbon, unbutton my pants and watch reruns of Facts of Life. I loves me my Tuti.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger a13xa9dr1a said...

Elitist is saying that I would not deign to watch these shows under any circumstances. I watched the show. Gave it a chance and found it to be empty calorie television. So I gave things a fair shot before forming an opinion. Just b/c I dont agree with you doesnt make me an elitist. It makes me discerning. If I recall correctly, it's Union you like on Friday nights, not the corner booth at the local McD's? Rolex, not Swatch? Lexus not Tracker? Just checking.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Tim Walsh said...

I didn't say you didn't agree with me, rather you were being snobby. Whilst watching Masterpiece Theatre weekly (marvelous programming)I often ponder the elusive Big Mac (of " two all beef patties" fame) and say to myself, "Self? Why IS the special sauce so tasty?" Ask not for the answer, it never comes. Enjoy the robust flavor and take it for what it is. And now, I leave you.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger a13xa9dr1a said...

I can comfortably conclude that I have absolutely nothing in common with someone who ponders Big Macs weekly. And that isn't elitist, it just is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home