WorldGirlRants

I started this blog because I left Boston to live and work in London for a while, and I wanted to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm back now, but still have plenty of opinions on world news, politics, the media and the absolute craziness that comes from dealing with people. Bring it.

23 February 2006

Tag, You're It!

So I first started this blog intending it to be read only by my friends (well, maybe 50% of my friends). Then I started getting readers from all over the world that I didn't know, and I thought that was cool. Shortly after that, some other bloggers linked to me, and I got in touch with some other bloggers and I thought, "Cool. I'm part of a community."

And now, I've been introduced to a new blogging tradition -- the meme -- by
AbbaGav. What this means is that I've got to answer the below list of questions, then tag four other bloggers. Who knew this would be so much work?! In the spirit of being a productive member of my new blogging community, here goes:

1) Black & White, or Color: How do you prefer your movies?

Considering my favorite movie of all time -- Casablanca -- comes only in b&w, I'm gonna have to go with that. That being said, I can't imagine another of my faves -- Good Fellas -- in anything but color.
2) What is the one single subject that bores you to near-death?
Brangelina
3) MP3s, CDs, Tapes or Records: How do you like your music?

MP3s, although one of the best things about MP3s is the fact that I can use them to burn CDs for people and for my commute -- a new one every day to match my mood, if I want to.
4) You are handed one first class trip plane ticket to anywhere in the world and ten million dollars cash. All of this is yours provided that you leave and not tell anyone where you are going … Ever. This includes family, friends, everyone. Would you take the money and ticket and run?
This is a tough one. Every fiber of my being is screaming, "say yes!" but I don't think I could do it without telling (and taking!) my friends and family.
5) Seriously, what do you consider the world's most pressing issue now?
I like the spirit of AbbaGav's answer: "The growing divide between Islam and the Western world" but I'm gonna take it further/broader and say, the increasing polarization of the world in general, even as technology is supposedly making earth a "global village." Traveling here in Europe, talking to people of diverse backgrounds and reading the news, I am troubled by a culture of blame, an increasing "us & them" attitude and a focus on issues or taking sides rather than on people. If humanity can't get past that, we're screwed.
6) How would you rectify the world's most pressing issue?
If I knew how to do that, I'd have a much more important job than I currently do.
7) You are given the chance to go back and change one thing in your life. What would that be?
I would have moved to Israel right after graduating from high school, done my army service and stayed there.
8) You have the chance to go back and change one event in world history. What would that be?
It's not original, and I'm copying both AbbaGav
and his tagger,
Scottage but I would prevent the Holocaust.
9) A night at the opera, or a night at the Grand Ole' Opry. Which would you choose?

The opera. The fancy dress. A wildly romantic opera like La Traviata. And waterproof mascara.
10) What is the one great unsolved crime of all time that you'd like to solve?
I'd like to find out who robbed Geraldo of his moment in the sun by emptying out Al Capone's vaults.
11) One famous author can come to dinner with you. Who would that be and what would you serve?
J.D. Salinger, no question. And I'd make paella. He would love my paella.
12) You discover that John Lennon was right -- there is no hell below us and above us is only sky. What's the first immoral thing you might do to celebrate this fact?
Wait, do Jews even believe in hell? I don't, so this revelation wouldn't make one bit of difference to me.
Now I am supposed to tag four other bloggers. I am a bit unsure of the etiquette here. I believe the tagging process is driven mostly to highlight other blogs and provide links, introducing visitors to other blogs I find interesting or noteworthy.

Still, some of the writers of the those blogs do not necessarily know me... So what to do? I am going to assume that they will appreciate the link, and make their own choice as to whether to participate. If I've breached etiquette by tagging you without having communicated with you before (or you've done this before and don't want to do it again), please accept my apology and know that I tag because I love...

OnlyInIsrael
EgyptianSandmonkey
DovBear
An Unsealed Room


2 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Gavriel said...

I liked the Geraldo answer. I forgot about that.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Bubah3000 said...

I believe you cannot mock pop culture properly if you do not keep certain "classics" top of mind at all times, in order to give your rants context. These classics include: Charo, The Love Boat, Denny Terrio, Michael Jackson, Hair Bands and Geraldo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home