WorldGirlRants

I started this blog because I left Boston to live and work in London for a while, and I wanted to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm back now, but still have plenty of opinions on world news, politics, the media and the absolute craziness that comes from dealing with people. Bring it.

23 February 2006

New Cartoon Crisis


Now that recent events have elevated the importance of cartoons in today's global marketplace, lawmakers are looking closely at the broad spectrum of cartoondom, and passing important legislation to regulate this powerful medium.

China has thrown down the gauntlet and said, "cartoons must follow the conventions WE decide upon." Lest you think this is a "freedom of speech vs. religion" issue, let me put your mind at ease. We're not going to rehash the Mohammed cartoons again. It's actually a "humans and drawings intermingling" issue.

China's TV regulator announced today that "so-called cartoons that mainly feature real people and only occasionally have computer-generated elements" (that's an actual quote!) are hereby banned. Initially, this appears to affect the Teletubbies and showings of 1988's tour de force, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I'm not sure why this is necessary, but who am I to question Chinese regulators, especially since neither Jessica Rabbit nor Po seem to have come out in opposition nor begun organizing demonstrations. (I'll need to do some more digging to find out whether there is a movement afoot to use the Chinese flag as toilet paper, or kindling.)

Watch this space for further cartoon-regulation news. I can't even believe I just typed that...

6 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Blogger Gavriel said...

Holy Cow! (sorry to any Indian readers). I was going to commend you on brilliant satire, and now I have to take it back.

Great find though.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Gavriel said...

by the way, you've got a meme to do.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Wade said...

I can think of a big reason that they want that mixed live-animation banned.

Using the cut and paste animation style, it would not be hard to edit mocking or video-fisking of the government.

Some little talking orange ball or something could go around inside state propaganda and debunk. Sounds cool.

Sort of like a life and death game of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Thank AbbaGav (for sending me here). Amazing.

We both have memes to do.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Bubah3000 said...

Wade, anyone who draws parallels between inane Chinese laws and MST3K is my new best friend. Thanks for stopping by. BTW, AbbaGav, I've done my meme.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger a13xa9dr1a said...

Seriously, I didnt know the Chinese had cartoons. I mean who's ever heard of Chanime? And Ive never seen anything vaguely Chinese on Spike&Mike's.

The closest they've got is Sagwa but it's by Amy Tan and we all know she's not really Chinese anymore. Shes an American in Chinese clothing. Give it up, Amy.

So what are they on about? Radish Comes Back? Monkeys Fishing for Moon? Lotus Lantern? Show me a good Chinese cartoon and Ill show you a bullshitter.

Ni hao this, Jintao.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger a13xa9dr1a said...

As always, Ive cooled off, come around and seen the other side of this issue. I have to give the Chinese credit for this: theyve banned Space Jam. Now you know that's the right move no matter what country you're in. Props Jintao. Although my SchoolHouse Rock would kick your Lotus Lantern any day of the week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home