WorldGirlRants

I started this blog because I left Boston to live and work in London for a while, and I wanted to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm back now, but still have plenty of opinions on world news, politics, the media and the absolute craziness that comes from dealing with people. Bring it.

07 January 2006

Crazy Trip Feedback


I leave for London in the morning. I've gotten all kinds of interesting feedback/commentary/requests surrounding my trip.

Almost every woman over the age of 45 I have spoken with about my trip has told me that they "just know I'll meet my husband there." Not that I would be upset if they were right, but its interesting to note that its a unanimous prediction. ("Well you haven't been successful in America, so maybe the Euros will like you better!")

Almost everyone has asked if I'm going to drive in the UK and whether I'm going to take driving lessons to learn how to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. (BTW, the answer is no.)

About 50 percent of people asked if I would begin calling car trunks "boots," apartments "flats," and elevators "lifts." As a corollary to this, I would say 80% of people have pre-emptively accused me of developing a Madonna-like faux accent, as if they're expecting me to come back with one. I would imagine that nothing annoys the British more than an American with an affected British accent.

Once it was decided that I was going, my boss started telling me he had to "use the loo" everytime he had to go to the bathroom. I don't want him telling me that in American, much less English!

A friend of mine, who lives in London, told me that "we'll have to take a trip to Duabi together." I tried to explain to her that they're not likely to let me in.

But perhaps most interesting is the request I got to bring back bouillon cubes for one of my co-workers. Apparently, in the UK, they make bouillon cubes in odd flavors like "roasted red pepper," etc. I'm apparently supposed to comb the supermarkets for these things. A preliminary google search has not turned up anything, but I will obviously keep you all updated on my search.

I'm sure the concierge in my building will be able to help on this one... although I may wait until I've been there for a few weeks before asking. I don't want to be labeled "crazy bouillon chick" my first week in the building... Afterall, he may tell the other residents, and I don't want my future husband thinking I have some broth fetish before we even get to know each other!

3 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Dave Moore said...

Hey there, Bubah. Seems like London is a popular destination. Yeah Baby! Can't wait to see you. Love ya! Davey

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Dave Moore said...

Bubah3000:

Any relation to Andre 3000? I'm sure you're still in the air or getting frisked by those horny custom agents -- nice teeth, no? I can't wait to see you in Londontown. Get your mojo going, babe, we're gonna take advantage of those later pub closings! Yeah, baby! See you soon.

Love, Davey.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Bubah3000 said...

Davey, or shall I call you Puff Laddie? You're the first to get my Andre3000 reference... You win a prize. Many pints on Tuesday evening. I promised S-Lo that I'd post the deets the next day on this site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home