WorldGirlRants

I started this blog because I left Boston to live and work in London for a while, and I wanted to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm back now, but still have plenty of opinions on world news, politics, the media and the absolute craziness that comes from dealing with people. Bring it.

12 January 2006

Corporate Apartments...


... have pluses and minuses. The pluses include daily maid service, a fabulous location right near Regent's Park, a gym and sauna right downstairs, a concierge, and the ability to order room service whenever I am feeling lazy. (More on the likelihood of me doing this often below...)

The minuses are worthy of a bit more detail. I just noticed that I have the same picture hanging over my bed and in a random corner of my living room. Ain't it a beauty? Now, I knew more than to expect cutting-edge decor in a corporate apartment, but at LEAST they could throw some variety into the boring prints they hung around the place. Or, apparently not...

Also, my kitchen isn't great. It consists of a toaster, a kettle, a coffee maker, a sink and a dorm fridge and two burners. Now, if I was planning on subsisting on a diet of ramen noodles, beer, kraft macaroni and cheese and toast, this would be fine. Instead, I find myself living on a diet of soup, pasta, yogurt, coffee, tea, fruit and toast. And bad Indian restaurants.

The maid service is both a blessing and a curse. I work from home, and most mornings so far, they have cleaned my room first thing in the morning while I was at the gym or out getting coffee. Well, this morning they didn't come during that time, so I figured that when they did show up, I'd take a break from work and pop out and buy some groceries (i.e., more bread, some new varieties of tea, soup).

When the housekeeping staff showed up at 11:15, I headed out to the store, figuring that with all the places they have to clean, it would take 25-30 minutes max, plus they clean every day. I came back with my groceries -- and they weren't done. I put them away and felt wildly uncomfortable while they did an absolutely amazing job, spending more than an hour on my place. While I appreciated this, it was somewhat uncomfortable... So I called down to the concierge and requested that my maid service be scheduled for 8:00 am every day.

Sounds a bit bratty now that I see it in writing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home